Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Walk for Peace: Day One

I joined the walkers for the first 7 miles or so before making my way back to the UMF campus for a meeting - what a moving experience. And so simple! Just . . . walking, with my fellow peacemakers by my side, in front of me and behind, making our way across Maine with our boots, our backpacks, and our message.


Last night's pot luck supper was a great success; we easily had over 100 attendees, and a wonderful group of volunteers from P.A.in.T. and UMF! I showed up at Old South church at around 1 p.m. to start making my pasta salad - and at 8:30 p.m. I walked through my front door, dropped my bags by the door and lay down in the middle of my living room floor, completely spent.


Here's a video from Dan Ellis from the pot luck event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7meFy7T7ic&feature=related


After an early start this morning, I made my way to campus ready for the 8:30 a.m. gathering of walkers in the Computer Center parking lot. Students, faculty, community members, and the monks and nuns of the Nipponzan Myohoji order all stood in a circle, holding hands as they prepared to begin the 14.4 mile journey to Skowhegan (with shuttling ahead, of course!)
    I was sad to stop walking - even though my hips were aching and my feet were sore (from being on them all afternoon yesterday more than from the walk), I found myself feeling jealous of those who were continuing on as we drove away back toward Farmington.


Keep walking the walk, guys! I'll see you all tomorrow as you make your way from Skowhegan to Waterville!


Footage from this morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPVQvk4w9g&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment